I allowed myself one purchase at Katuscon, and it had to be something that was useful and not just a figure or something like that. So, I picked something I had been eyeing for a while, a kigurumi! If you aren’t familiar they are adult sized onsies that look like various animals. They are SO COMFY and super adorable as well! (Also, not associated with furries, gosh, don’t stereotype) They are perfect for lounging around in while watching netflix and they are so warm!
The materials I used were:
2 1/2 yards light orange polar fleece
1/2 yard dark orange polar fleece
1 1/2 white polar fleece
1/2 yard lining fabric for the hood (I used some scraps I had lying around my house)
Elastic (comes in a pack of 4 yards)
scraps of black and pink that I had lying around
thread (in orange, white, & black)
Stuffing (For the nail and nose)
Tracing paper & a sharpie (For the patterns)
I barely had any scraps left, and I probably could have used another 1/2 yard of white to make some pieces a little wider (especially the hood).
I used the tracing paper to trace along my kigurumi, adding a bit of a allowance on the edges. Though I probably could have added a larger allowance. I named each piece and wrote directions on each pattern for what should attach to it and where.
All the cut out patterns!
I use a VERY OLD Viking Husqvarna sewing machine that can’t actually change sewing settings, so I can only sew one way, which can be a bit of an issue sometimes. Aka, this means I can’t sew button slits, which was a debbie downer for this. I need to get it taken and looked at, probably.
The base pieces sewn together! There are pockets AND a stuffed tail!
It took me 4 days, of about 3-4 hours of sewing each day to complete. There were some minor issues, especially with the elastic….the elastic wasn’t the best quality, it didn’t stretch very easily. I also probably should have used felt for the details on the face instead of polar fleece. Not to mention, the hood needed to be a little bigger, it was a bit tight, in my opinion. Still, I’m happy with how it turned out, and now we match!