Last month I made a secret challenge for myself to work on growing all my social media to specific goal numbers by my birthday. For the most part, I did pretty well, but I slacked off on a few and focused too hard on others! Well, focused too hard isn’t really a bad thing, because I blew some of my numbers out of the water!!
What was my following when I started this here challenge for myself on March 3rd?
So what were my goals? I was aiming for:
I didn’t really put any work in Bloglovin’ though, I really dropped the ball on that one, not going to lie. Also, Twitter has been the hardest for me to grow, it’s so up and down and I just can’t get it! However you guys manage gaining so many Twitter followers is beyond me…I think I’m funny! No one else thinks I’m funny apparently!!!
Anyways, let’s get to the final numbers! As of my birthday, April 9th!
224 –> 450 YAY!
487 –> 552 Close but no cigar!
451 –> 618 YAY!
572 –> 598 Not enough close at all!
I hit two of my goals, but for me, this is impressive anyways, considering I grew all these in just a little over one month! March 3rd to April 9th!! Wow-ee! I thought Pinterest would be the hardest for me to grow, but it ended up being the winner (and easiest to grow), I mean it grew by 200% in that little bit of time!! Instagram was another one I wasn’t quite sure how to grow too well, but it ended up growing by 137%! WOW!
Twitter was the hardest for me to grow, and I spent the most time with it too and only managed to grow it by about 113%. I gained 65 followers in a month, I hoped I would have hit at least 100 more followers, but I guess I haven’t grasped the magic of twitter just yet! And like I mentioned before, I didn’t even do anything with BlogLovin…oops! I forgot about it by focusing on everything else!
Anyways….here were my tricks for the month!
- I followed people that my blogger friends followed. Everyday I followed about 5-10 people or so.
- I got Unfollowers to track things, like, to be honest, if someone followed me and then I followed back and then they unfollowed me….you better believe I unfollowed them. I guess I’m petty like that, but that’s petty of them too!!
- I got Buffer and tried to follow a good posting schedule
- I changed up my content with quotes, retweets, pictures, and links
- I participated in some Twitter chats
- I replied to tweets to engage with people
- Re-wrote my Twitter profile blurb
- I downloaded Latergramme to schedule pictures, or else I ended up forgetting
- I went through tags I like (ex: #bookbloggers) and commented on pictures
- I tried using more/new/popular hash tags on the pictures I was posting
- I joined a lot of group boards (which I hadn’t done before)
- I cleaned up my pins
- I renamed some of my weirder named boards
- I moved around/deleted some of my worse boards
- I changed the thumbnail pictures on the boards to be more eye-catching
- I started pinning more
- I added new boards that fit in with my blog/ideals/reader base
Things I did to grow all platforms at once:
- I joined in/sponsored some giveaways (I won’t lie)
- Connected with blogger groups on Facebook
- Tried to bring in more links to my blog (like the Instagram and GoodReads links on my sidebar)
- Get everything branded similarly across all platforms (ex: usernames, color schemes/profile images, etc)
This little month long experiment taught me a lot about growing social media followings and I’m proud of the numbers that I reached. (I might have tried reaching a little too high on some of the platforms, especially trying to grow everything at once!) I hope my tips can help you grow your followings as well!
ga(‘create’, ‘UA-44399366-1’, ‘auto’);