If you missed the previous post (Things I Miss about Pittsburgh) give that a look see either before or after this one! I thought I’d look back fondly on what I miss about my past home and what I’ve come to love about Houston in this past year living here. It’s looking like I’ll be staying here for the long haul, so that’s exciting! I do really enjoy it down here! So let’s list it all out! (Maybe I can convince some of you to come join me!)
- Finding a job was easier than I expected
- 80 degrees on Christmas
- The most mild winter ever, aka it wasn’t even winter
- Way more sunny days compared to cloudy days
- Being able to have a cat in our rental!!
- Making brand new friends!
- FOOD! BBQ! YES!
- Being close to Austin and San Antonio and kinda (not really) close to Dallas!
- The ocean isn’t too far away (Even though we haven’t been there yet)
- Discovering new places to eat
- Rarely feeling cold unless I’m inside a building!!
- Did I mention that BBQ though?
- Being able to grill all the time, all year round!
- Never having to shovel snow/slip on ice/get frostbite for being outside longer than 20 minutes ever again!
- Easy to navigate! (Everything is nice and grid-like)
- People are a lot friendlier
- Less frantic pace of life (At least that’s how it feels)
- Alamo Draft House! (Beer and full service dinner at a movie theater!)
We haven’t explored as much as we would have liked, but now that I have weekends free, we can take that time to explore more! We’ve tried a lot of new restaurants and bars though, and we keep finding awesome places! (Like Axelrad!) Houston feels like a big city and also a town at the same time. Where we are, west of the city, we are actually close to ranch land, so it feels more like PA, except hot and not snowy in the winter!
We can’t wait to see what the future has in store here! So far it’s been a blast!