I don’t mark them on GoodReads, I don’t really talk about them much on the blog, and I don’t even keep them on my bookshelf, but I do enjoy single issue comics! Back in Pittsburgh I used to live within walking distance of an awesome comic book shop, which was above my all time favorite art shop. I would drop in before/after my shifts at Starbucks and grab new art supplies, or walk up the steps to check out the latest comic releases. It was here that I discovered my love of Lumberjanes and Bitch Planet. A while (long while) back, I visited Austin with friends and we stopped by some comic shops, where I loaded myself up with tons of single issues that I had missed in the gap between leaving Pittsburgh and coming to Houston. I’ve also gotten some single issue comics from Kickstarter’s as well! (Since comics and cat cafes are the main things I back on that site!)
So let’s talk about some of the comics I grab single issues for:
- Giant Days – The story of three girls who are just starting university and want to re-invent themselves, I haven’t gotten too far in the series yet, and I’m a bit behind!
- Lumberjanes – I will rave about this series for as long as I breathe, a story about a summer camp cabin. The girls are kick ass, independent, grow a lot, and there is a pinch os supernatural adventure as well!
- Bitch Planet – In the future women who don’t fit the standards of beauty or do other actions that disrupt society are sent to a prison planet where they must live under deemed “able to return”. It’s crazy, it’s brash, and it was suggested to me by a good friend back in Pittsburgh and I love it. (Mature content-ish)
- Sex Criminals – What if when you were having sex you realized you could stop time during climax? Would you use your powers to rob banks? Probably. Although there is a group of people who try to uphold the laws and a couple, both with this power, are abusing it! (Who wouldn’t?) (Mature content)
- Munchies – A kickstarter comic about a girl who gets a very bad case of the munchies that turns into a muchie monster, eating everything in it’s path!! It’s a one-shot comic, but it’s cute and I love the old-school printed style of the comic itself!
- Bee & Puppycat -You may know this also from a kickstarter, although the kickstarter was for the animated show! The comic is the same story, a girl who has issues finding a job comes across puppy cat, an alien who is contracted to help solve problems, Bee is along for the ride!
- Invincible -I’ve raved about the two compendium volumes that were loaned to me by a friend, and now that I’m all caught up, I have to wait for the single issues to come out! Bummer! Catching up with a comic is a drag (but also awesome!) This is a superhero story with a lot of twists and turns, it deals with a lot of issues as well and really makes you think, the character development is out of this world and jeez. Seriously, pick this up.
- Paper Girls – This follows the four 12 year old newspaper delivery girls that uncover a huge story on Halloween, very supernatural and full of action and adventure!
- Rox – Do you like viking Gods? Do you like rock? Do you like it when these things are combined along with a kick butt, take charge girl? Good! I got these four issues through Kickstarter and LOVED them!
- Pretty Deadly – The story of Death’s daughter, an origin tale, if you will. I haven’t gotten that far into the series, but I’ve heard amazing things about it!
Do you read single issue comics, or do you wait for the collected editions to come out? Read anything awesome recently? Let me know!